Creating volumes

Added by Nappy Dee over 2 years ago

Hi all,

I am new to nexentastor and this product appears very straight forward but I have one question on volume creation.

I have an HP DL380 with my external drives attached to a RAID controller. Do I create y RAID array on the HP controller first or do I allow nexentastor to see the raw drives attached to the controller?

Replies

RE: Creating volumes - Added by Reuben Bryant over 2 years ago

Hello, It is best to allow Nexentastor see the raw disks. I am running an HP DL380 G6, I needed to put in an LSI 9200 HBA before it would see the raw disks. The on board controller passed a logical (RAID 1) drive to Nexentastor but not the raw disks.

I hope this helps.

Reuben

RE: Creating volumes - Added by Nappy Dee over 2 years ago

Makes sense. A followup question. My raid card has 512mb of onboard cache. Does this cache become unsable in the system? On 2012-03-11 8:10 PM, "NexentaStor.org" tracker@nexentastor.org wrote:

http://www.nexentastor.org/boards/1/topics/5506 Reuben Bryant

Hello, It is best to allow Nexentastor see the raw disks. I am running an HP DL380 G6, I needed to put in an LSI 9200 HBA before it would see the raw disks. The on board controller passed a logical (RAID 1) drive to Nexentastor but not the raw disks.

I hope this helps.

Reuben

-- You have received this notification because you have either subscribed to it, or are involved in it. To change your notification preferences, please click here: http://www.nexentastor.org/my/account

RE: Creating volumes - Added by Reuben Bryant over 2 years ago

Hello, If the RAID card can present all the disks as separate disks (not as separate logical volumes), then it might. I used the on board RAID to create a mirrored volume for the boot dev and used the separate HBA to expose my disks to nexenta. The HBA has no cache memory that is handled by the SSD's. But for the price of a LSI HBA it is not worth missing around with RAID cards (my point of view) for your main disk array. For work stuff I would stay with the components that is on the HCL. It saves a lot pain later. I am using a cheap STLab card for my home storage, it works well.

Cheers R

Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8 Set-Cookie: _redmine_session=BAh7BiIKZmxhc2hJQzonQWN0aW9uQ29udHJvbGxlcjo6Rmxhc2g6OkZsYXNoSGFzaHsABjoKQHVzZWR7AA%3D%3D--cebfb08d300a85bd88dafd1422210ebe7c9a5873; path=/; HttpOnly Status: 500 Internal Server Error X-Powered-By: Phusion Passenger (mod_rails/mod_rack) 2.0.3 ETag: "218787e8d55e068c21a82d01974e2f4e" X-Runtime: 473ms Content-Length: 9507 Cache-Control: private, max-age=0, must-revalidate redMine 500 error

Internal error

An error occurred on the page you were trying to access.
If you continue to experience problems please contact your redMine administrator for assistance.

Back